Thymos - Philosophy, Art and Gung-Fu

mmmm fresh rant. Also: go away - this rant not for you.

Monday, August 30, 2004

A beginning...

What is this about? Well with any piece of writing we should consider the title to determine what the meaning and context could be. In this case it's "Thymos - Philosophy, Art and Gung-Fu". What could that mean? What could all those concepts have in common that the author wants to draw our attention to?

To my knowledge the word thymos is Greek for "spiritedness". It is this spiritedness I want to discuss in relation to its gentle cultivation through philosophy, art and gung-fu. Or in other words, in perfecting the mind and body by subjecting oneself habitually to soul or character and body strengthening education. As I believe Plato, Nietzsche and Rousseau were trying to tell us, spiritedness is key to becoming more virtuous. To increasing arete. It is the excellence of soul which allows for a full human life. Something I think we have forgotten. Something I desire to attain.

In regards to my method, my hope and intention is to write upon these topics and have dialectic intercourse (that is to say a friendly debate using logic in the hopes of better understanding) with those other seekers after truth. It is my hope that wise people are attracted to this discussion and through dialogue with these people I may become educated upon the meaning of these things, and their relation to me. As such, comments on my posts are both allowed and welcome, as long as you are willing to engage in a friendly debate. Perhaps, during this process of discovery others will become educated as well. I hope to be able to post my thoughts once per week.

As such, I will leave this first post with the hope that we all find what we are searching for.

josh

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home